Conclave Session: Aerospace & Defence Manufacturing
November 13, 2018 02:00 PM- 04:00 PM Seminar Hall: Rushikulya
- The objective of this 2-hour session on ‘Aerospace and Defence manufacturing’ is to provide a platform to discuss the investment opportunities and the unique competitive advantages offered by Odisha for Aerospace & Defence manufacturing.
- Currently, India ranks amongst the top 10 countries in terms of its military expenditure and is the largest importer of defence equipment in the world. Subsequent to the introduction of the “Make in India” initiative, there is an increased emphasis on “self-reliance” and “promoting MSME” in the Defence sector. A new defence production policy that is under deliberation aims to achieve self-reliance in 13 systems latest by 2025.
Both public and private sector industries can play a pivotal role in the indigenization of Aerospace and Defence manufacturing in the country. Odisha is in a unique position to support the manufacturing investments ecosystem for the sector considering some of its unique competitive advantages listed below:
- Odisha is the highest producer of Aluminium, Steel and Stainless Steel in the country with the large mother units producing Aerospace and Defence grade products for use by the industry.
- A long coastline of 480 km with presence of deep-water ports at Paradip, Dhamra and Gopalpur can result in substantial savings on the logistics and transportation costs.
- Presence of Integrated Test Range (ITR) and Proof & Experimental Establishment (PXE) at Chandipur, provides ready ecosystem for testing of military equipment.
- Engine manufacturing division of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) at Koraput and Ordnance factory at Bolangir, provide ready market for ancillary and component suppliers to set up units in the State.
- Presence of Central Tool Room & Training Centre (CTTC), a prominent training, production, design and consultancy centre completes the ecosystem by facilitating specialized tools and precision components as well as specialized trained skilled manpower required by the industry. CTTC has played a key role in supplying various components to important projects of national significance such as the Light Combat Aircraft, ‘Mangalyaan’ and ‘Chandrayaan’ missions of the country.
During the session, prominent officials from the armed forces, senior officials from Centre and State Government and representatives from the industry will deliberate on the outlook for the sector and the opportunities for investments in Odisha for large as well as MSME enterprises. The key topics of discussion shall include:
- Aerospace and Defence manufacturing ecosystem in Odisha
- Policy initiatives and doing business framework for the sector
- Modernization plans of the armed forces – Opportunities for the industry
- Growth opportunities for MSMEs
- Experience and perspective sharing by large and MSME enterprises operating in the sector
- Vision and Plan for development of Aerospace & Defence Manufacturing sector in the State
Representatives from the industry involved across the value chain of aerospace and defence manufacturing are welcome to attend and participate in the deliberations.