Conclave Session: Electronics & IT
November 14, 2018 10:00 AM- 12:00 PM Seminar Hall: Rushikulya
- The objective of this 2-hour session on ‘Electronics & Information Technology’ is to provide a platform to discuss the investment opportunities and the unique competitive advantages offered by Odisha for Information Technology & Electronics manufacturing sector.
- Currently, the Electronics and Electrical Industry is experiencing a high growth rate in APAC countries – mainly India, China, South Korea, and Japan due to rapidly increasing demands. The electronic market in India is one of the largest in the world and is expected to reach $400 billion in 2020. Owing to the enabling policies by the Government, the ‘Make in India’ and ‘Digital India’ initiative, local manufacturing in the Electronics Industry is currently a hot topic.
India’s smartphone adoption is growing at a CAGR of 23% and the country overtook the US this year to become the world’s second-largest smartphone market by users. With 42 mobile handset manufacturing units and 15 component manufacturing units been set up in the past two years, the mobile phone manufacturing industry, especially the component sector is in the lime light.
Government of India has come up with specific policies and schemes viz Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme and Electronics Manufacturing Cluster Scheme to attract investments in the sector. Similarly the Government of Odisha has given high priority for development of Electronics & IT Sector in the state and has formulated its own ICT Policy and Special Incentive Package Scheme to attract investment under these sectors.
- Both public and private sector industries can play a pivotal role in the indigenization of Electronics manufacturing in the country. Odisha is in a unique position to support the manufacturing investments ecosystem for the sector considering some of its unique competitive advantages listed below:
- The State has connectivity with the rest of the country through Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar. The Airport has also started its international connectivity with important international locations and is likely to further extend its international connectivity by close of 2018.
- A long coastline of 480 km with presence of deep-water ports at Paradip, Dhamra and Gopalpur can result in substantial savings on the logistics and transportation costs.
- Electricity and Water are the essential components used in electronics manufacturing and other operations in the ESDM industry. Odisha is a State with surplus electricity generation and availability of abundant water through its extensive network of rivers and streams.
- Presence of 215 acres of exclusive cluster for electronics manufacturing known as Infovalley having master plan proposed by Jurong Consultants Pte Ltd, Singapore with investment opportunities in Mobile devices, Display devices, Computer hardware, Industrial electronics, Consumer electronics, Semiconductor fabrication, Communication and network equipment, Electronics components for Defence and Aviation etc.
- Availability of large pool of skilled and semi-skilled manpower and presence of national institutions of higher learning and research institutions in the State through which 1,78,404 technical manpower graduating every year
- Presence of ESDM Incubation Centre for promoting product development and Setting up of Characterization Lab at IIIT, Bhubaneswar for testing of Chips before production
- Enabling Policies like ICT Policy, Special Incentive Package for ESDM Sector and Industrial Policy Resolution, 2015 (IT & ESDM is one of the focus sector) with a range of incentive provisions in Capital Investment Subsidy, Interest Subsidy, Human Capital Subsidy etc.
- During the session, prominent officials from the IT & ESDM Industries, senior officials from Centre and State Government and representatives from the industry associations will deliberate on the outlook for the sector and the opportunities for investments in Odisha for large as well as MSME enterprises. The key topics of discussion shall include:
- Information Technology and Electronics Manufacturing ecosystem in Odisha
- Policy initiatives and doing business framework for the sector
Vision and Plan for development of Information Technology & Electronics Manufacturing sector in the State
Growth opportunities for MSMEs
- Experience and perspective sharing by large and MSME enterprises operating in the sector
Representatives from the industry involved across the value chain of Information Technology and Electronics Manufacturing are welcome to attend and participate in the deliberations.