Conclave Session: Making Odisha the Media & Entertainment Hub of India
November 15, 2018 03:00 PM- 05:00 PM Seminar Hall: Brahmani
The objective of this 2 Hrs session on Media & Entertainment Sector is to provide a platform to discuss the opportunities available in the State of Odisha for the Media and Entertainment Industry (‘M&E Industry’), wherein the first hour will be focussed specifically on the content production opportunities available in Odisha and later move on to the opportunities available to the print, radio, events industry etc. to flourish in Odisha.
The M&E industry has emerged as one of the major sectors in Odisha, both geographically and from a perspective of National influence. Odisha presents a huge opportunity, as it is an ideal blend of cultural crossroads. Odisha is also the 9th largest state by area, and the 11th largest by population.
As the world`s largest producer of the films every year, India has the potential to compete globally as a successful Market in the M&E sector. Odisha intends to be the leader amongst states to set the stage for India’s dominance in the global film market. On an average, more than 50 films are produced in Odisha alone annually.
To encourage Odia films, Government of Odisha is taking the following steps:
- Renovation /constructing of new cinema houses;
- Providing subsidy to cinema halls;
- Establishment of film archives;
- Renovation of Kalinga studios.
The State of Odisha displays great potential for the M&E industry to grow and thrive in the state. The following facts display the consumption potential of M&E in the state of Odisha alone:
- With around 15 Odia Channels (News & Non News), Odisha has a viewership of around 24.08 Million a week, with an average daily time of 3 Hrs 40 Min spent watching TV by an individual. The GEC channels are witnessing exponential growth in Odisha. Ad-sales revenue of TV channels is dominated by the retail sector (both local and national), followed by Government ad-sales;
- Odisha has the capacity to sustain more channels as long as their promoters are equipped with better strategies and believe that it is professional content that will make networks succeed.
- FM radio market is witnessing growth on account of increased spends by Government and retail sector. Majority of the ad-spends are still driven by the retail sector specifically the Jewelry sector followed by the I&PR department of the Government of Odisha;
- Concept of events and activation is picking up in Odisha as the FM Radio stations are aggressively pushing activation and events for local as well as National brands;
- A steady increase in state wide literacy rate has resulted in Odisha having the highest national growth in readership over the past 3 years. Out of 90 lakh households in Odisha housing a population of 4.58 crore population, only 14 lakh household subscribe to newspapers, signifying a great opportunity for growth in circulation and increasing subscriber base.
During the session, prominent officials from the Ministry and representatives from the industry will deliberate on the outlook for the development of the M&E sector and the opportunities to bring in the investment in the state of Odisha.
The key topics of discussion shall include:
- Attracting investments in the state;
- Single window clearances for film productions;
- Growth and opportunities in the state
- Sharing of best practices from any other state
- Vision / plan / suggestion for the development of the sector